by Caitlin Edwards
We’re tackling some real crowd pleasers this week, including augmented reality and infographics (who doesn’t love a good infographic?). Even better, Kentar Worldpanel ComTech answers your burning questions about smartphone size – is bigger really better? (Hint: Yes.)
Monday, September 3
Shocker: smartphone users like bigger screens, market share may respond accordingly by Jon Fingas for Engadget
“Among Android phones sold in the past three months across eight countries, 29 percent of them had a screen larger than 4.5 inches. Their owners were unsurprisingly more active as well, using the internet and watching videos more often than those whose phones had more modest displays.”
Surprise, surprise! The bigger the smartphone screen, the more enjoyable the user finds their experience with the device. It’s no wonder Apple’s increasing the iPhone 5′s screen size (if rumors are to be believed). Click through to see an interesting chart on usage percent penetration by smartphone screen size (check out the numbers on mobile web!).
Tuesday, September 4
Mobile Web usage overtakes fixed-line Internet in India: StatCounter by Jon Russell for The Next Web
“[StatCounter] reports that, last month, mobile accounted for 51.63 percent of Web usage, with desktop devices making up the remaining 48.37 percent. That’s a first for India, and it follows a steady uptick in the share of the Internet usage from mobile and tablet devices.”
For many people in developing countries, a smartphone may be their first, and only method of accessing the web. If you’re a marketer targeting these populations, not having a mobile-optimized site may mean all the difference when it comes to online conversions. How much longer before the rest of the world follows this trend? (Mary Meeker’s predicting as early as 2014).
Wednesday, September 5
Top augmented reality campaigns from the first half by Rimma Kats for Mobile Marketer
“Over the past year, augmented reality has taken over the mobile space and has marketers thinking of new ways to incorporate the technology into their strategies to develop interactive and engaging campaigns.”
Want a little inspiration on how to spice up your mobile marketing efforts? Check out this great rundown from Mobile Marketer, highlighting some excellent uses of augmented reality technology (QR code killer? Maybe…). We’re a little disappointed the article doesn’t provide any eye candy for the reader, but you’ll just have to use your imagination. Our favorite? Tic Tac’s Times Square billboard – go big or go home.
Thursday, September 6
Mobile Web Users: Media Consumption, Mobile Activities, Ad Tolerance, Demographic Profiles from MarketingProfs and Are You Addicted to Your Smartphone? by Sam Laird for Mashable
Trust us, these infographics speak for themselves.
We’ve got a twofer for you on Thursday! Two great infographics from InMobi and OnlineColleges that will help you identify whether or not you are addicted to your smartphone and, if you are, how you’re most likely spending your time. The infographic from InMobi shows that the average mobile web user in the US consumes roughly 9 HOURS of media per day (2.97 of those hours are, you guessed it, spent on a mobile device). The OnlineColleges infographic reveals that 18% of iPhone owners would rather stop bathing everyday than give up their phones. I’ll let you mull over that one for a moment.
Friday, September 7
How Advertisers Can Avoid Paying for Accidental Mobile Clicks by Dave Copeland for Read Write Web
“…good design is only part of the equation. Advertisers should make sure they won’t be charged for clicks the audience didn’t intend. ‘In mobile, the problem just may be using clicks as a pricing model,’ [John Busby, vice president of the Marchex Institute] said.’”
A combination of optimized ad design and negotiating with publishers to discount bids to account for accidental clicks can help advertisers avoid paying for people’s clumsy thumbs. New technology is emerging that tracks mobile clickthrough results based on user interaction to determine whether or not a click was accidental, saving advertisers precious dollars from their mobile marketing budget. We recommend keeping your eye out for publishers who are putting this technology to work!
Can’t get enough of mobile news? Don’t worry, we’ll be back next Friday with another recap. In the meantime, leave your favorite articles in the comments thread and we may spotlight them next week!